The policy of Murphy Oil Corporation (Murphy) and all its subsidiaries is to conduct business in a manner that respects the environment as well as the health and safety of its employees, its customers, its contractors and the communities where we operate. The foundation for Murphy’s success is achieving outstanding environmental, health and safety performance equivalent with operational excellence and positive financial results.
Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Guiding Principles
To accomplish our EHS Policy, Murphy will:
1. Demonstrate visible and active leadership in all of our business activities by providing resources necessary to manage and communicate EHS commitment, expectations and accountability in the same manner as any other critical business function. Appropriate systems and procedures will be enforced to ensure compliance with this policy and these principles.
2. Make it clear to all employees and contractors that working safely is a condition of employment. Expect every employee and contractor to take personal responsibility to understand and implement the principles of this EHS policy.
3. Comply with all applicable EHS laws, legislation, international agreements and regulations in the countries or communities where we operate and implement responsible controls where such laws, legislation and regulations do not exist.
4. Provide training and training criteria to our employees and contractors to perform their job safely and effectively utilizing their knowledge and skills to maintain a safe and healthy work environment.
5. Identify and assess potential hazards and threats to people, the environment, and assets. Implement reasonable and practicable actions to eliminate, mitigate, or manage these risks.
6. Continue to minimize the impact of our operations, products and services on the environment by implementing economically feasible projects that promote energy efficiency and use natural resources effectively.
7. Strive to achieve our goal of eliminating environmental and safety incidents. In the event an incident occurs, appropriate response, corrective action and reporting will be performed in a timely manner.
8. Work proactively with stakeholders to develop and advance effective approaches to human health, safety and environmental protection.
9. Achieve continuous EHS improvement and compliance by setting targets, auditing assets and business practices, reviewing results and reporting on our performance.
10. Implement EHS management systems to achieve the objectives outlined in this policy.
By adopting this EHS Policy and set of principles, Murphy Oil Corporation demonstrates its commitment to conduct business in a manner that protects human health and the environment. We intend to make consistent measurable progress in implementing these principles and apply them to all aspects of our operations.
February 4, 2009